Humidity, Mold and Your Health

How does mold affect you and your health?

Exposure to damp and moldy environments may cause a variety of health effects or none at all. Some people are sensitive to molds. For these people, molds can cause nasal stuffiness, throat irritation, coughing or wheezing, eye irritation, or, in some cases, skin irritation. These symptoms can often be confused with allergy symptoms. People with mold allergies may have more severe reactions. Immune-compromised people and people with chronic lung illnesses, such as obstructive lung disease, may get serious infections in their lungs when they are exposed to mold. These people should stay away from areas that are likely to have mold, such as compost piles, cut grass, and wooded areas.

In 2004 the Institute of Medicine (IOM) found there was sufficient evidence to link indoor exposure to mold with upper respiratory tract symptoms, cough and wheezing in otherwise healthy people.

Mold is found both indoors and outdoors. Mold can enter your home through open doorways, windows, vents, and heating and air conditioning systems.

Mold will grow in places with a lot of moisture, such as around leaks in roofs, windows, or pipes, or where there has been flooding. Mold grows well on paper products, cardboard, ceiling tiles, and wood products. Mold can also grow in dust, paints, wallpaper, insulation, drywall, carpet, fabric, and upholstery.

So how do you prevent it?

Mold growth is encouraged by warm and humid conditions. So inside your home, there are a couple of things you can do to help keep those chances of mold forming down.

Some specific recommendations:

Keep humidity levels as low as you can ( no higher than 50% all day)

Use an air conditioner or dehumidifier during humid months

Be sure your home has adequate ventilation, including exhaust fans

Clean bathrooms with mold killing products

Do not carpet bathrooms or basements

Remove or replace previously soaked carpets and upholstery


Mold Growth: 

Mold growth often looks like spots, it can be many different colors, and smell musty. If you can see or smell mold, a health risk may be present. You do not need to know the type of mold growing in your home, and the CDC does not recommend or perform routine samplings for molds. No matter what type of mold is present you should have it removed properly. Since the effect of mold of people can vary greatly, either because of the amount of mold or type, you need to get it removed immediately.  That is where we come in, we are mold certified and know what to look for, and have the proper training to contain the area and remove the affected areas. The best practice is to remove the mold and affected areas and take preventative measures to keep mold away.


That is when you call us! We are mold certified and here for you 24/7!

(813) 531-8366